CONTAINMENT : useful information
You’ll find useful documents here. Some are translated in English.
At Science Accueil, we are staying at your side and we have launched several actions to help you through this crisis as smoothly as possible.
You can still join us:
- By chatting through your personal account if you already have one, if not -> it’s here
- For administrative concerns: [email protected]
- For housing concerns: [email protected]
- For French courses: [email protected]
- To register to our workshops: [email protected]
- For any other concern: [email protected]
From January 16th
On January 14, 2021, the Prime Minister announced the advance of the curfew from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. throughout the metropolitan territory from Saturday, January 16, 2021 for a minimum of 15 days.
Exits and travel without a certificate are therefore prohibited from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am throughout metropolitan France under penalty of a fine of €135 and up to €3,750 in case of repeat offense.
Higher education and work
As far as higher education is concerned, all lectures and tutorials remain at a distance except for certain practical work. Access to university libraries is possible.
Beginning January 25, tutorials will resume in half groups for Grade 1 students. If the health situation permits, this return to the university may be extended to students of other levels.
In addition, the establishments will have to respect a 20% gauge. Teaching locations will therefore have to juggle between the presence of “first year” students in half-groups during the TDs, fragile students in groups of ten, and students present one day a week, while respecting this 20% gauge.
As far as higher education is concerned, all lectures and tutorials remain at a distance, except for some practical work. Access to university libraries is possible. The CROUS university restaurants prepare take-away food. For more information click here
How to benefit from the 1 euro meal in the Crous?
The President of the Republic, Emmanuel Macron, announced on January 21 the extension of the 1 euro meal in the Crous to all students with no means conditions for the duration of the health crisis. To benefit from it you only need to have an Izly account.
Students who wish to do so can benefit from two meals per day at 1 euro each, available for take-out only due to the health crisis.
Psychological support check as of February 1st
A “cheque”, to allow students in a situation of discomfort to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist and to follow a course of treatment, is scheduled for February 1st.
Home-working is strongly recommended wherever possible.
Shops and establishments open to the public
Shops resumed their activities on November 28th, as did driving schools, real estate agents and home services with a strict health protocol. The introduction of the curfew, however, imposes a closure at 6:00 p.m. for all of these establishments.
Opening dates have not yet been announced.
Restrictions and requirements in Metropolitan France
Outings and travel without a certificate are therefore prohibited from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am, under penalty of a fine of €135 and up to €3750 in case of repeat offense. Establishments authorized to open will not be able to welcome the public after 6:00 pm.
A nightly curfew is currently in force in metropolitan France. Between 6PM and 6AM you may only leave your residence for the following reasons and with an exemption certificate:
- Commuting to and from work, school or training place; carrying out essential business trips that cannot be postponed;
- Medical appointments that cannot be carried out remotely or postponed;
- Essential family reasons, assisting vulnerable persons, persons in a precarious situation or taking care of children;
- Persons with a disability and their accompanying person;
- Judicial or administrative summons;
- Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority;
- Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys;
- Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of one’s place of residence and for a brief amount of time.
For information on the measures considered for higher education, research and innovation
Since January 31, 2021 at 00:00 am, any movement to / from a country outside the European area is subject to the production of a compelling pattern.
Please note that travelers arriving from a European country but having stayed within 30 days prior to their arrival in a country outside the European area, must respect the procedure applicable to travelers arriving from a country outside the European area.
Foreigners can come for short or long stays. They must present at the border the documents usually required: passport, visa (long-stay visa for all, short-stay visa only for nationalities subject to it) and only for short stays: proof of resources and accommodation.
In addition, they must have: international travel certificate + declaration on their honor of health measures.
Don’t forget the PCR test that is less than 72 hours old.
The certificates can be found here.
Students moving to France for the second academic semester as part of a program at a higher education institution. You must be enrolled in France for the academic year 2020/2021 or for the 2nd semester of the academic year 2020/2021 only to be authorized to come.
> Documents for students :
- passport, visa for studies (VLS or VCS),
- certificate of schooling for the year or semester,
- if necessary: proof of participation in a university exchange program
Researchers moving to France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities requiring a physical presence are allowed to come.
Non-EU nationals with a VLS “Talent Passport”
>> This applies to all talent passports: qualified employee, researcher, family, artist, investor, business creator, etc.
They need: passport, VLS, employer’s certificate/business card/assignment order (+ hosting agreement for researchers)
Be careful not to confuse the business creator talent passport with the RECE or the auto-entrepreneur/professional card.
For researchers, they need :
- passport, visa (if necessary),
- invitation from the laboratory,
- employer’s certificate and hosting agreement.
To come to France, foreigners must have the following documents:
- the certificate of international travel to metropolitan France from one of these countries. This certificate must be presented to the transport companies before the ticket is used and to the authorities in charge of border control (air, sea and land links, including rail links).
Please note that there is a new box on the travel certificate for researchers: “Professor or researcher employed or invited by a French educational institution or research laboratory who travels for study and teaching purposes”.
Compelling reasons of a personal or family nature :
- Death of a family member in the direct line (grandparents, parents, children and siblings) / Visit to a life-threatening situation for family members in the direct line (grandparents, parents, children and siblings);
Required documents: death certificate or death certificate, medical certificate establishing the situation of the person whose prognosis is life-threatening, proof of family ties.
- Displacement in France within the framework of the exercise of custody rights recognized by a court decision;
Documents required: court decision and proof of place of residence.
- Summons by a judicial or administrative authority;
Required documents: summons by the administrative or judicial authority.
- Legal or economic impossibility to remain on the territory on which the person is located / execution of a measure of removal from the territory ;
Required documents: Expiring residence permit, act of dismissal, etc…
- Participation in a university exchange program.
Required documents: Certificate of schooling issued by the institution.
Compelling health reason :
- Vital medical emergency (for the person as well as a companion if his presence is indispensable);
Required documents: medical certificate, proof of planned hospitalization, etc…
Professional compelling reasons :
- Missions essential to the pursuit of an economic activity, requiring a presence on the spot which cannot be postponed and whose postponement or cancellation would have manifestly disproportionate consequences or would be impossible (including transport professionals);
Required documents: employer’s certificate, professional card for crews in international goods transport, international passenger transport, international maritime transport.
- Health or research professional contributing to the fight against Covid 19 or participating in cooperation operations of major interest in health matters;
Required document: professional card.
- Ad hoc missions related to the exercise of public authority prerogatives (including diplomatic missions and missions essential to the continued execution of operational contracts of the armed forces or military corps) that cannot be deferred or postponed ;
Required documents: business card, mission order.
- High level professional sportsmen and women for participation in meetings validated by the Ministry of Sports ;
Required documents: professional card, certificate issued by the organizer in connection with the Ministry of Sport.
- Cross-border workers between France and the United Kingdom.
Required document: employer’s certificate.
If you have any questions about how to apply the measures concerning entry and residence in France, you can contact the freephone number authorized by the government: 0800 130 000.
Find more information about travel to France on the website of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs.
As of September 17, 2020, the filing of student card renewals will be done electronically.
For more information The Sub-prefecture of Palaiseau has made available the document foire aux questions COVID 19 (French version).
Public service offices open
Post offices and public service counters remain open.
The Foreign Talent Reception Desk (Guichet d’Accueil des Talents Etrangers – GATE) closes its doors on December 18, 2020.
For all specific requests, you can reach the prefectures by e-mail :
Sub-prefecture of Palaiseau : [email protected]
Prefecture of Evry : [email protected]
Prefecture of Versailles : [email protected]
For the ” Talent Passports “, a specific address is dedicated to them:
Science Accueil Solidarité
If you have trouble due to the situation (moral, financial…), fell free to tell us, we will do our best to help you find a solution.